THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:58AM ADT
Last Updated Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:27PM ADT
HALIFAX — No criminal charges will be laid against five so-called “Proud Boys” who disrupted a Mi’kmaq ceremony in downtown Halifax on Canada Day, the Royal Canadian Navy says.
Rear-Admiral John Newton said Thursday that an investigation has wrapped up with no further actions taken against the members, although they remain on probation.
The servicemen had been relieved of their duties and re-assigned to other jobs, pending the results of the military police investigation into the incident at a statue of Halifax’s controversial founder Edward Cornwallis.
Newton said one of the servicemen has since left the Forces, but the others are being returned to their operational units and regular duties.
He said they displayed “behaviour inconsistent with the values and ethics expected of those in uniform,” and the military has taken appropriate measures to address “individual shortcomings.”
The navy has ensured the servicemen have a clear understanding of the expected ethical behaviours and standards of conduct within the Canadian Armed Forces, he said.
Newton told reporters the servicemen — three navy and one army — remain on probation and have to adhere to conditions.
“If they fail ΓÇª. they are gone,” he said. “This is not lightweight punishment.”
The investigation began in early July, a few days after a group of “Proud Boys” confronted Indigenous people gathered in a park for what they described as a sacred rite. The incident was caught on videotape and was spread on social media.
The Armed Forces apologized for their actions. Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Gen. Jonathan Vance, chief of the defence staff, both condemned the actions of the men.
The “Proud Boys” — known for matching black polo shirts often worn by members — was founded in the U.S. by Gavin McInnes, a Canadian who helped establish Vice Media and is now an outspoken, right-wing political pundit.
The “Proud Boys” call themselves “Western chauvinists.”
Newton said he has met with the servicemen twice, and they are remorseful and dealing with a world changed by social media.
He said reporters don’t know the servicemen’s version of the story, but “it means nothing” anyway, because what matters is what the public perceives.
Newton said he has dealt with many navy mishaps caused by personal mistakes, and although the servicemen embarrassed the military, the matter has been dealt with through the governing policies and procedures.
“You cannot just turn around and fire everybody. They have rights,” he said.
“You can’t pursue it just because you want to. You just can’t. What we are doing doesn’t solve all of the issues. But it is as good an outcome as I can strive for.”
Newton said he has also met with Chief Grizzly Mamma, who was part of the Indigenous ceremony interrupted by the “Proud Boys.”
In a statement Thursday, the military said the Halifax incident has provided a leadership opportunity for military brass — and the best way to confront and defeat intolerance is through education and training.
“Any action by a Canadian Armed Forces member (in uniform or not) that demonstrates intolerance or shows disrespect towards the people and cultures we value in Canada is completely unacceptable,” it said.
“The Canadian Armed Forces celebrates the contributions that First Nations, Inuit and Metis people have made to Canada and its military.
“The chain of command has taken appropriate measures to address individual shortcomings, intended to drive home a clear understanding of the ethical behaviour and standard of conduct that we demand all our members uphold and maintain.”
It said the Armed Forces view diversity as a source of strength and flexibility.